An impression of autumn

When the snow was falling last week, I enjoyed trying to create some interesting images from the collision of weather with the fall landscape.  The photograph I shared earlier drew some very kind comments about the style of painting it was similar to.  I agree with Linda who saw suggestion of Pointillism.  Using a short exposure of 1/400th of a second froze the snowflakes in that photograph.  Here, I used a longer exposure of 1/40th of a second.  The slower shutter speed let the snow trace blurry paths through the scene.  I liked the level of abstraction that created.

1. I like the motion blur too. brilliant colour.

September 21, 2018 at 11:15 pm

2. When I was a child in Iowa, one of the great delights of winter was breathing on the frosty windows to create a ‘peep hole’ through which to see the new (or still blowing) snow. This photo reminds me of that. The “open space” in the leaves is like a peep hole that allows the trees to be seen. It’s a wonderful pairing with the previous photo.

September 19, 2018 at 7:50 pm

• I love the visual your words create for that window into winter. Thank you so much!

September 27, 2018 at 7:31 am

3. Jack Griffis

Chris, you, and your admirers, leave me in the dust. I wouldn’t recognize Pointillism if it “kissed me on the forehead”. I just like to look at how beautiful your photographs are!

Jack Griffis

September 19, 2018 at 3:27 pm

• Thank you Jack. I hope you will continue to enjoy the images I share.

September 27, 2018 at 7:29 am

4. So very beautiful. I love the way you captured the colors!

September 19, 2018 at 10:53 am

5. So beautiful. The shorter exposure worked perfectly to create an almost abstract painting.

September 19, 2018 at 10:51 am

6. Just lovely. This and the previous post. Being from Southern California, I’ve got another 3 months or so of heat before we start to really cool off, and these shots are giving me all the weather envy!

September 19, 2018 at 9:18 am

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )