Advertisements

A big, beautiful black wolf

Banff black wolf - © Christopher Martin-1685

Wolves are a polarizing animal – many love them and what they represent, others would shoot them on sight, no questions asked. I see them as an integral part of the food chain in the ecosystems where they still exist.  In the Banff National Park they are not thriving but the pack of five that I watched take down an elk in late February, are finding their way and I hope they are able to raise pups this spring.

Banff black wolf - © Christopher Martin-1630

There is one black wolf, one of the younger ones in the pack I have been told, which is a beautiful creature. He seems to be a bit more curious than the others and once the elk was down strode across the bridge deck to the edge of the forest seeming to be momentarily more interested in assessing his surroundings than joining the feast.

Banff black wolf - © Christopher Martin-1726

I look forward to this wolf and his pack continuing to occupy their rightful place as a carnivore in the Bow Valley’s food web.

Banff black wolf - © Christopher Martin-1708

Advertisements

1. Nice Photos, that wolf

March 20, 2016 at 10:02 pm

2. Nice Photos

March 17, 2016 at 10:24 pm

3. Amazing Photos, I’m Very Like

March 16, 2016 at 9:25 pm

4. Thank you for sharing these excellent photos. It is so important that these beautiful wolves remain a viable species. I believe your sharing these photos allows people who would otherwise not know of them, meet them and then in turn care about them. So often species slip quietly into extinction.

March 16, 2016 at 12:17 pm

5. Beautiful post! I really like how you captured the majestical appearance.

March 16, 2016 at 10:07 am

6. Wolves are amazing creature and keep advocating for them. We have had 2 wolf dogs (the mom was the wolf and she was an abandoned pup who was raised and loved, but was not able to be released into the wild) and they were the most amazing animals we have ever had the pleasure to love. Thanks for a great post!

March 14, 2016 at 9:40 am

7. and by the way… please follow me and comment and like my posts! 🙂

March 13, 2016 at 5:58 pm

8. Wow… An amazing photo! It shows you that wolves aren’t actually dangerous beasts… they are magnificent creatures! My favorite animal is a wolf! I have a post on my blog about wolves if you want to read it… its called Wolves Make the World go Round!

March 12, 2016 at 6:18 am

9. Amazing shot !

March 11, 2016 at 6:06 am

10. C’est tellement beau… Vous avez ce don d’attraper au vol la nature qui surprend.

March 11, 2016 at 4:39 am

11. I was curious about how wolves came to have black coats. Apparently they got their coat colour from breeding with dogs. It is believed that the genetic transfer took place sometime before the arrival of Europeans to North America and involved dogs that were here with Native Americans.

March 10, 2016 at 8:20 pm

12. The black wolf is awesome looking and very cute! I really enjoy these photos!

March 10, 2016 at 7:11 pm

13. They have an important place in the system and all those good looks are just a bonus!

March 10, 2016 at 5:51 pm

14. Sajda Afifi

beautiful

March 10, 2016 at 5:01 pm

15. Oh my goodness, what a beautiful creature he is!

March 10, 2016 at 3:44 pm

16. Great moments and pictures. They are Beautiful indeed. Dan

March 10, 2016 at 3:28 pm

17. That black wolf is really stunning…and quite magical looking💕

March 10, 2016 at 3:17 pm

18. They really are stunning animals. I always enjoy your photos.

March 10, 2016 at 2:51 pm

19. Yes, Beautiful Black Wolf!!!!!!!

March 10, 2016 at 2:41 pm

20. Pam

Dear Chris………….love the wolf photos…..are you aware that it’s open season on ANY wolf ANY time in BC at moment? There’s all kinds of public outcry, petitions etc., but no one seems to be able to shake govt. off this action….anything you can do to help would be appreciated…………Pam G.

March 10, 2016 at 2:25 pm

21. Congratulations on the circulation your wolf-kill photos have received! In addition to newspapers, I have seen them in Outside on-line. Amazing luck to be in the right place at the right time.

March 10, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Your comments are appreciated - thank you for visiting.