Fighting in the fields

Rutting bucks - © Christopher Martin-5183

I was roaming the gravel roads east of south of Cochrane on the weekend.  As dusk started to fall, I found a small herd of white-tailed deer in the middle of a field.  There were two bucks standing apart from four does.  The smaller male was prancing about a bit so I put on my longest lens and waited to see if anything would happen.  We are still in the middle of the rut so I was hoping they might do some antler jousting.

Rutting bucks - © Christopher Martin-5176-2

And, as it turned out, they did.  They clashed a couple of times with antlers cracking while they tangled head to head.  The battle was short, frenetic and I felt very lucky to watch this moment play out.

Rutting bucks - © Christopher Martin-5175

Rutting bucks - © Christopher Martin-5184

After this skirmish the smaller one darted away and they stood apart for a minute before moving up a fold in the hillside back towards the seemingly unimpressed does.

Rutting bucks - © Christopher Martin-5202

1. Pingback: Autumn animals… before the season is too long gone | Christopher Martin Photography

2. Frazee

wow, nice shots .. really fun out there

October 24, 2014 at 1:20 am

3. The antlers of one are so close to the other’s eye. Vicious and vulnerable. great shots.

October 16, 2014 at 11:46 pm

4. Stunning images, Chris!

October 15, 2014 at 1:06 pm

5. ashleyroedesign

The silhouette of these deer are wonderful! Beautiful photograph.

October 15, 2014 at 6:42 am

6. Wonderful when they perform on cue like that.

October 14, 2014 at 11:28 pm

7. How fortunate, Christopher. I know things like this don’t just fall into your lap, you put yourself in the right place for that fortune to find you. I think the first was taken a split second before the last. What a great series.

October 14, 2014 at 9:19 pm

8. Great photos and glad the fight was over quickly!

October 14, 2014 at 8:46 pm