A porcupine in a tree

In the branches - 2013 © Christopher Martin

Driving through farmland south of Cochrane today, I came across a glowing ball in the top branches of a thicket of scrub bush.  The ball was a North American porcupine (Erethizon dorsatum).  The glow was from the sunlight reflecting off of the quills.

A glowing ball of quills - 2013 © Christopher Martin

I knew this was one of the things that porcupines frequently do as they climb up to eat the bark, but it was my first time to see it directly.  I had to cross a field to get remotely close and as I drew near, the spiky fellow dropped down lower into the branches.  Indicating it was uncomfortable with me coming over for a visit.  I waited a hundred feet away for a few minutes to see if it would relax and climb back to a higher spot where I would have a clear line of sight.  It didn’t but I was able to find a couple spots where the face and front claws could be seen amid the brambles.

Porcupine's face in the branches - 2013 © Christopher Martin

Hopefully next time I can approach a little slower or find a more curious porcupine that will let me take a couple of photographs that better portray these interesting creatures.

1. The black and white photo is awesome. The last one also. Plus the one in the middle.

March 2, 2013 at 4:08 pm

2. Val

You’re so lucky to have been able to capture shots of this porcupine! How lovely. 🙂

January 30, 2013 at 6:13 am

3. The second is very textural with the high-lighted porcupine and my favourite.

January 29, 2013 at 7:10 pm

4. These are some great shots. I like the sun lighting up the porcupine. I’ve never seen anything like it before. Educational to say the least.

January 28, 2013 at 8:21 pm

5. Estos animalitos, yo los conocí en la montaña, cuando yo tenia diez años, son bonitos y peligrosos, porque las espinas que tienen son peligrosos, cuando se le ensarta una espina a la piel de uno, esta espina corre dentro de la carne, porque lo pudimos comprobar con un perro que se le acerco a ese animal y se le sumergio la espina en la piel. Felicitaciones Chris, son buenas fotos.

January 28, 2013 at 6:41 pm

6. Wow! What a magical and unusual encounter! I’ve come across many porcupines but never one who likes to climb! Stunning photographs…

January 28, 2013 at 2:59 am

7. They are interesting creatures. I have come to like them this year after two encounters.

January 27, 2013 at 11:34 pm