Of Kananaskis and Bragg Creek

There are significant pressures on the forests that extend from Bragg Creek through Kananaskis Country.  Kananaskis has sixty parks within its borders which protect two-thirds of the area.  Kananaskis was set up as a multi-use area which would address the “needs of industry, ranching and tourism are still balanced with the mandate to preserve the animals, plants, and processes that keep the Kananaskis Country ecosystem healthy” (history).  The current plans include a clearcut of roughly 700 hectares west of Bragg Creek around the Moose Mountain area.  I was asked to pull together a gallery of images from West Bragg Creek and Kananaskis that could help show what stands to be lost if plans like this are acted upon.  Click on the image below to link to this gallery if you are interested.

Clear-cutting scares me.  I grew up in the Kootenay Valley in British Columbia’s interior and my father had a logging operation along with several tourism based businesses.  His crew harvested forests by employing selective logging, they didn’t clearcut.  The areas which were clearcut in the valleys there, and here in Alberta, often do not recover well.  The topsoil washes away, new trees planted have challenges taking hold and then there are the animals.  Obviously they can’t stick around once the cover, their homes and their food is lost.  The impact is severe for most species and I hope the efforts made to change the current plans are successful.  The Bragg Creek and Kananaskis Outdoor Recreation group has their finger on the pulse of this issue.  For those who are interested there are things we can do to be heard and help to influence the decision makers.  If you are interested, please visit their website for information on the proposed logging and what is being done.  Sustain Kananaskis is another group that is working very hard to raise awareness and change the current plans.  I do not have any direct connection with Sustain Kananaskis but their website has a lot of information and I agree with everything that I see in their mission statement.

1. I’m always disgusted by the avarice of these companies and the toadying of the Alberta government. As others have noted here, a petition would probably have more of an impact, but I’m not going to hold my breath.

November 28, 2012 at 9:59 am

2. Clearcutting is very scary. I hope the plans can be changed. Unfortunately even selective logging, while it looks better, is still incredibly destructive to the local ecology. You can’t change part of a system and expect it to stay the same.

November 27, 2012 at 6:28 pm

3. Christopher — what a gorgeous shot! Can you provide a few details (technical and otherwise) about how you captured it?

November 27, 2012 at 4:48 pm

4. Great shot Christopher.

November 27, 2012 at 3:33 pm

5. Jim

I love the owl photo Great Capture!

November 27, 2012 at 2:13 pm

6. Pingback: Of Kananaskis and Bragg Creek « My Heartsong

7. On-line petitions don’t mean anything -they need to be handwritten and signed.Hopefully people in that area will start. I have seen the Kootenays and the clear-cutting, have friends there.Thank you for caring and I will pass this on.Very important.

November 27, 2012 at 1:23 pm

8. Outstanding. Thank you.

November 27, 2012 at 12:39 pm

9. Fantastic photos. I spent some time in Kananaskis a few years back and would hate to see anything happen to destroy such a beautiful place. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

November 27, 2012 at 12:33 pm

10. Stunning shot. Thank you for making people aware of this issue – I’ll tell my students that I teach.

November 27, 2012 at 9:38 am

11. Just beautiful… Here’s to all the efforts to preserve this beautiful land and its inhabitants. Perhaps a petition can help, too?

November 27, 2012 at 8:59 am