A wet coyote in the Spray Lakes valley

This coyote was scouting along the banks of the small river which winds back on itself several times as it crosses the meadow beside the road up to Shark Mountain in the Spray Valley Provincial Park.  It was almost cold enough for snow and the coyote’s coat was slick from the freezing rain.  The resulting glow made this healthy canine stand out beautifully against the long grasses.

After watching us for a couple of minutes, the coyote continued along the edge of the river.  Eventually it crossed over the meadow and climbed up the hill.

–

1. Beautiful creature. Beautiful capture.

October 27, 2012 at 12:05 am

2. I’m sure you get asked this a lot, but what Camera and lens was used here? (if you don’t mind me asking that is).

October 26, 2012 at 6:41 pm

• Hi Lori,

Thank you for your comments and for this question.

Currently I photograph primarily with a Canon 5D Mark III. My second camera is a 5D Mark II. For wildlife, I usually have a 500mm lens on the III and a 70-200mm lens on the II. For birds, I will put a 300mm on the second camera. I use a 1.4X extender when I need more reach.

I have used digital SLRs from early on. I did have film SLR cameras but I did not get into photography until I got my wild 20’s out of the way. In digital, I started with a Canon XT Rebel (2005-2008), then a 40D (2007-2010) and then used a 1D Mark III (2010 through mid-2012).

The cameras don’t replace vision but it is fun to use better gear.

Cheers,

November 2, 2012 at 9:29 am

3. Wow, isn’t he a healthy coyote. Our coyotes seem to have less bulk than this guy. Beautiful colors. I like the rust colors in the grasses and the way that brings his gorgeous eyes out. Very pretty, thank you for sharing! –Lori

October 26, 2012 at 6:39 pm

4. Sure has a thick coat and looks at home in it’s environment. great colours in the grasses.

October 26, 2012 at 6:16 pm

5. Alec Martin

Hope you have a great few days in some of your favorite haunts. I’m sure the results will be stunning. Be safe and enjoy yourselves

Love

Dad

Sent from my iPad

October 26, 2012 at 6:14 pm

• Thanks Dad.

It was a good trip – wolves or no wolves.

Cheers,

November 2, 2012 at 9:31 am

6. Alec Martin

Once again you have captured the essence of your subject. Just beautiful.

Dad