Coyote on the move in Kananaskis

Jeff and I were driving back from the Kananaskis Lakes in the Peter Lougheed Provincial Park when we saw a coyote trotting along the side of the road.  We pulled over, set up some long lenses and watched it approach.  As it drew closer, it neither sped up nor slowed down.  It cast a few glances our way but seemed to have some other place to be.

The coyote crossed the road a couple of times, usually in advance of car coming.  Only two did while we watched and those drove it off of the pavement but not as far as the woods.

This animal looked to be in good health and did not look to be stressed as it carried on.  We were both very curious where it may have been heading.

After a few minutes, with the tail bobbing up and down with its bouncy stride, the coyote went out of sight as it rounded a corner further up the road.

1. Exceptionally beautiful shots. You should enter the “Wild Weekly Photo Challenge”. It’s “wildlife” this week.

November 11, 2012 at 10:33 am

2. Such beautiful captures of a wonderful creature! I adore these clever (oh-so-intelligent) and lovely guys.

October 25, 2012 at 5:19 am

3. Pingback: Moosed Up Hair and Drunken Bear | Arty Old Bird

4. Really enjoy the movement in these photos and everything is just super sharp. You must have a really nice camera setup. The composition is right on. I really like how you give the coyote room to move in the photos. The DoF in the 2nd photo is awesome. Really like how you’re singling him out from the front and the back of the road. The last photo is one of my favorites. The eyes are gorgeous. The movements is neat. You can tell it was a little overcast, because the colors are rich and vibrant. Great job and thanks so much for sharing. I really enjoyed these photos, Thank you.

October 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm

5. Those are amazing photos! I love the one with the winding road.

October 22, 2012 at 2:55 pm

6. That first shot is just beautiful. Great eyes! That’s the one I was trying to get but I seem to get much more skittish coyotes whenever I have visited your area over the years.

October 22, 2012 at 11:45 am

7. Beautiful photos and coyote.

October 22, 2012 at 8:35 am

8. Val

From the grin on its face it looks like a wolf after Little Red Riding Hood’s grandmother… 😉 Great shots, Chris.

October 22, 2012 at 7:38 am

• Yeah – I’ve been trying to get more wolf into my viewfinder but I have missed them on a number of occasions by minutes. I guess I’m trying to find the wolf in every other canine I see!

November 2, 2012 at 9:33 am