Autumn Aurora

Northern Lights west of Calgary, Alberta

I woke up this morning at 4:30, not for any particular reason I can recall.  I went down for some water and saw there was an Aurora Watch Alert.  The live update showed that there was a lot of Auroral activity so, at my wife’s prompting, I headed out.

Aurora Borealis in Southern Alberta - © Christopher Martin-3029

In Bragg Creek we still get a fair bit of Calgary’s night city glow, so I drove northwest to a dark area of the prairie.  Some clouds cleared out along the horizon as I set up and then the show picked up and kept going strong until dawn.

This was a special time under the stars for me.  I have been visualizing photographing the Northern Lights and planning to get out for a couple of years.  I had a fantastic time watching the streams of light streak across the sky.  It was great to be able to realize what had been a little bit elusive.

So now, with this first Aurora shoot, in the rearview mirror, I’m looking forward to finding some new locations and compositions to photograph (and probably a faster f/2.8 or f/1.4 lens to shorten exposures).

1. Laura

Wow, breathtaking shots! I wish I can see an aurora someday 🙂

January 19, 2013 at 11:19 am

2. Pingback: 2012 Favourite Landscape Photographs « Christopher Martin Photography

3. Amazing pictures. So beautiful. Cudos to you for going out so early to get the shots.

October 14, 2012 at 9:39 am

4. Wow – incredible photos! Thank you for posting them. Nothing like the colors from nature!

October 13, 2012 at 9:56 pm

5. Wow, the photos are beautiful and it must have been such an amazing sight. Thanks for sharing these!

October 13, 2012 at 3:38 pm

6. Love these shots, especially the last one!

October 13, 2012 at 2:09 pm

7. Congrats on some amazing photos! It certainly is a sight to behold when the sky lights up like that. Not sure if its going to be clear in Calgary tonight, but the chances are pretty good they come out again. Its forecast to be cloudy here though. Good luck and keep up the great work!

October 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm

8. Cristina Luisa

WOW! Spectacular photos! That must have been such an amazing experience.

October 13, 2012 at 11:35 am

9. Holy *%&$ That is freakin amazing! Great job with these pics and glad you were up early to get them.

October 13, 2012 at 11:15 am

10. Stunning!

October 13, 2012 at 11:14 am

11. Thank your wife for those amazing photos. It must have been quite the experience!

October 13, 2012 at 10:54 am