Owl flight while winter strikes back

(Click images for link to higher resolution versions)

We had a monster snowstorm last night which made a slideshow out of the back roads and covered Bragg Creek in a fresh wrapping of winter by morning. I went out to West Bragg early and caught the mist as the day was warming up. I went to a frequent haunt for moose but crossed the meadow without finding any. Then I found a great gray owl and the next half hour was spent watching and waiting for it to take flight.

When it did launch it was fantastic. I love the power they drive off of their perch with. And then there are the wing beats… awesome.

I had hopes that when it did fly it would be a dive to hunt. Here the owl flew across the field closer to the forest. Not very much disappointment – it was great to watch and photograph.

1. Pingback: 2012 Favourite Wildlife Photographs « Christopher Martin Photography

2. elmediat

These are superb. I have passed the link to your post to non-blogging friends & family.

April 16, 2012 at 7:58 pm

3. Another WOW.Great shots.It is looking right at you in that one photo.Pretty intimidating.

April 14, 2012 at 1:26 pm

• Thanks Jane. I have always had an affinity for great grays. They and moose are my two totem animals. When I get a chance to spend a little time with them it is always special. When they stare, sometimes, there is a lot that they share.

April 16, 2012 at 1:00 pm

4. You captured the power and the beauty.

April 14, 2012 at 6:39 am

5. sandy

Wow, I will bet that made your day! Your photos are outstanding!!

April 14, 2012 at 4:38 am

• It was really great to see the owl and record the power and motion of its launch. The day only got better as I saw two moose in a field a few minutes later.

April 16, 2012 at 12:57 pm