Canadian Rockies Landscapes: Dawn on Vermilion Lake

Yesterday, I went out for a morning photography tour along the Vermilion Lakes just outside of Banff.  I enjoy returning to this area and usually am rewarded by the wildlife, the landscapes or something little thing that draws my eye.  I settled into a favourite spot along the second Vermilion Lake where there are some hot springs that seep out of the mountainside, collect into a network of small streams and keep a few pools of water free of the snow-covered sheet of ice that hides the rest of the lake.

Mount Rundle stands directly between the lakes and the point where the sun rises at this time of the year so you need some broken clouds to be in the right place to catch the warm light.

Patience was rewarded on this morning as the clouds were perfect and the sky burned with fiery reds and oranges for a few minutes.  It was a great morning to be out on the lakeshore.

1. I do like how the log pulls you into the focus point. Colours and stillness of the waters beautiful.There is real life in the clouds in the third photo. Maybe I can get back to the mountains soon…aching to get there.

January 24, 2012 at 2:06 pm

2. The clouds make all the difference in sunrises and sunsets, don’t they!? At this time of year, I can watch the sunrise from my living room. I can pretty much tell from the clouds whether I should get dressed and wander down to the edge of the field to take pictures, or stay bundled up in my chair!

January 24, 2012 at 10:33 am

3. Breathtaking scenery and amazing photography, as always.

January 24, 2012 at 8:22 am

4. As usual for your photos: stunning!

January 24, 2012 at 4:50 am

5. I have been looking at your pictures a while now Mr.Martin. I have always been in awe of your photography skills. You inspire. John

January 23, 2012 at 11:04 pm

6. Brilliant captures of a beautiful scene. Very nice work you have.

January 23, 2012 at 5:48 pm

7. victoriaaphotography

Love the second image with the snow covered log leading your eye into the water.

January 23, 2012 at 5:45 pm