Hawaiian Abstracts: Leaves

Kauai is also called the Garden Island.  The lush vegetation that blankets the land from the edge of the beaches and up to the peaks of the mountains makes the name an obvious choice.  I’ve spent a couple of mornings on the grounds photographing the leaves of the plants that line the walkways and the paths.  The patterns and colors are amazing and I will definitely spend more time with them over the next couple of weeks.

I haven’t learned their names yet so my apologies for not being able to provide a little more detail about the species.  I have a book of Hawaiian trees and shrubs so, if there are quiet moments, I will endeavour to shore up that gap.

1. cool story bro

December 22, 2011 at 12:08 am

2. Wonderful photo serious. They are stunningly beautiful.

December 18, 2011 at 11:30 am

3. victoriaaphotography

Love the colours of these images, but the 3rd one with the water droplets is my favourite. They look similar to the leaves of a Canna plant.

December 17, 2011 at 5:42 pm

• Hi Victoria – thanks! They may be Canna leaves, they aren’t in bloom right now so I’m not sure if they are or what type they might be. More reading on my part is required 🙂

December 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm

4. I like these. I think my favorite is the second image. Very nice. 🙂 So vibrant — just what Hawaii should be. 🙂

December 17, 2011 at 12:27 pm

• Hi Katie – the leaves in the 2nd one were the source of a bundle of images. I found the patterns really interesting but didn’t want to overplay them in the post. The hard drive knows how much I liked them though!

December 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm

5. I like the colors! Very nice!
    And the drops !

December 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm

6. i liked the lushness of greens and mauves. Very rich imagery

December 17, 2011 at 12:06 pm

• Thanks Mahesh – if you were just going to use one word, lush is the perfect one to describe Kauai.

December 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm