Patterns in Nature: Abstracted Landscapes

My post yesterday, Downward Spiral, had me thinking about patterns and prompted me to dive through my image library for patterns in nature.  As I looked at these images, I assembled a loosely connected collection under this theme.

Pulling together this short set, really fired me up to go find new patterns in the forests, fields, rivers and mountains where I get to spend my time.

1. I love stuff like this and have been exploring abstracts and textures in my work . Thanks for sharing…

December 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm

2. Your sensitivity to light is wonderful. I’m learning a lot from your photos.

December 9, 2011 at 7:58 am

• Thank you – that is one of the nicest compliments I could receive.

Equally, I am enjoying reading about your adventures – fantastic travels and coverage.

Cheers,

December 9, 2011 at 2:41 pm

3. Good for you for promoting an awareness of patterns in nature.

Steve Schwartzman

December 9, 2011 at 6:51 am

4. Joe Labriola

Wow! These are gorgeous, thanks! What is the first one?

December 9, 2011 at 5:21 am

• Hi Joe,

Thanks for having a look and commenting. The first image is a pile of rocks that serve as a flood water break. With snow piled up and softening the hard edges, I used a telephoto lens (70-200mm set at 160mm) to compress the elements and “stack” the hills into the pattern of lines.

Cheers,

December 9, 2011 at 9:45 am

5. Nice photos and theme. I saw a doc about fractals, which had a similar theory. It inspired a poem:

More info about fractals: