Prairie Landscapes: Sunset on Buffalo Lake

I was east of Red Deer at a friend’s cabin on Buffalo Lake over the weekend.  He tricked a wonderful lady into saying yes next week so this was his send off into marriage party.  As night approached we went down to the lakeshore and set up a fire.  Well my friends built the fire, I saw the shimmer of color on the horizon and thought a long exposure could gather enough light to make nice skyscapes.  While they got the fire going, I busied myself taking photographs of the dwindling sunset and its reflection on the slow rolling water.

I kicked a couple of guys off their chairs for a minute to use them as foreground elements (the chairs not the guys).  Shooting at 400 ISO gave me 20-30 second exposures depending on the aperture used.  This demanded a tripod but allowed the water to soften and the colors to “soak” in.  I could have used a cable release to get longer exposures and lower ISO’s but I didn’t want to be photographing all night and miss out on the festivities – choices and priorities.

As the fire began to burn, it brightened the water’s edge and this was the last image I made before putting the camera off to the side.  With the stars glowing through the darkening sky, there is a suggestion of Heaven and Hell that I might have explored further if I was there for photography but just looks cool as it is.

1. adrianduque89

I really like these photos!

September 13, 2011 at 11:07 am

2. The first ones my favorite 🙂 It makes me not want to be in the office right now.

September 13, 2011 at 8:14 am

• A few minutes after I made these pictures, I was sitting in one of the chairs with a cold beer – makes me want to be in an office even less!

September 21, 2011 at 10:09 pm

3. Pingback: A Night With Handheld Fireworks « Christopher Martin Photography

4. marnie

Loved the first picture with the lone chair and also the last one. Beautiful .

September 12, 2011 at 9:32 pm

• Thank you Aunt Marnie. It was a very nice place to be for a summer evening – almost as good as being in Nelson on your deck.

September 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm

5. I like the graceful empty chairs in your lake compositions and the last photo is incredible!

September 12, 2011 at 2:07 pm

• Thanks Karen. With the clouds that came in yesterday I feel lucky to have had that sunset to enjoy. It would have been fun to work with the firelight reflection more with these but it didn’t get the attention that night.

September 12, 2011 at 2:16 pm