Canada Goose Landing Blur

Guy Tal is an excellent photographer whose writing I find to often be inspirational and always thought provoking.  He is currently running a series of weekly photography contests  with the first theme being Natural Abstracts.   This is the image that first came to mind when I was reading the outline for the contest.  I photographed this Canada Goose landing on a small pond in Bragg Creek, Alberta on May 1st, 2008.  Much like this year, the winter had held a tight grip until the middle of April so the brown hues in the image are due to the still dormant greens of spring leaving the trees bare and the dark earth uncovered.  I have photographed many Canada Geese but this panning image is a favourite for the energy in the landing and the color palette matching the bird’s coloring with the environment around it.

1. This is beautiful man love this right here!!!

April 28, 2011 at 11:00 pm

• Thank you! Panning and motion blurs have a woldcard component to them but sometimes it works out alright.

April 29, 2011 at 8:33 am

2. Wow – this is fantastic, Chris! I’ve never seen anything like it. I have only tried panning once. You have inspired me to give it a try again soon.

April 27, 2011 at 9:29 am

• Longer exposures are a lot of fun to work with. A very good technique to have in your skillset when it gets dark and you haven’t got a tripod or when the background is boring or distracting. Have fun with it.

April 29, 2011 at 8:38 am

3. Marnie vanloon

Love this one Chris. Leave for Nelson tomorrow.

April 27, 2011 at 9:29 am

4. Very nice. As always, I love your work! It’s always a treat to view your photos. 🙂

April 27, 2011 at 7:05 am