The Chief of Elbow Falls

(Click the image above to open a larger and more detailed version)

The flow of water above, over and below the layers of rock that create Elbow Falls is a beautiful photographic subject at any time of the year.  In winter, with the ice and snow draped around the waterfall, I find the magic a little easier to work with and creating some compelling images a bit less elusive.

For as long as I have been photographing this spot, I have always seen the face of a chief in the rock outcropping that sits just below the waterfall.  Not only a face in the rock, the lines that draw the lips, the cheeks, chin and nose outline a sketch of the man who watches over this stretch of the river west of Bragg Creek in Kananaskis Country.

1. Mom & Dad

A fresh look at a beautiful place and the chief looks proud and at peace with his domain. Love Mom

March 6, 2011 at 12:29 pm

2. Val Erde

Yes!! I can see the chief!
    Your photos take my breath away, Chris, they are brilliant!

By the by, if I open these photos up larger they won’t fit on my screen as I only have a 15″ monitor for our shared internet connectcion pc.

March 6, 2011 at 9:30 am

3. yes!! That´s definitely a face!! wonderful pictures!!

March 4, 2011 at 5:38 am

4. Wow, great.

I have never seen such a photo than the rock photo which is showing the face of an Indian in war painting.

The photo is TOP photo!

March 4, 2011 at 12:39 am

5. SWK

Love the color of the water!

March 3, 2011 at 11:41 pm

6. I love the top image. Composition is beautiful as are the colours. Love the movement too.

March 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )