An Abandoned Farmhouse on the Saskatchewan Prairie

There were a few people asking about the farmhouse where I made this image of an interesting room inside.  The house is on the top of a small hill several kilometres outside of Gull Lake, Saskatchewan on the Canadian Prairies.

The farmhouse I photographed is on the right.  Although both are abandoned, I was drawn to the older building.

I could have used a tilt shift lens here but I like the perspective created by shooting upwards from a low position.

I spent a lot of time looking at the textures in the weathered wooden siding, this is the single image I came away with from that study.

The broken metal objects scattered around the back of the house made for interesting subjects – quite cooperative too.

This room faces east and the glass in the window frames broke a long time ago.  With the gaping holes to the outside, this room suffered more from the prairie’s summer storms,  bitter winters and steady winds than the rest of the house.  I like the glimpse of what was once there you can see in this picture.  It showed me that the house was lived in more recently than I first thought when I walked up the hill.

1. Stacey

These photos were passed onto me and –wow– this house once belonged to my family! I am originally from Gull Lake and spent many of my childhood days in this house! Strange to see it in this condition but beautiful photos. Thank you!

March 8, 2012 at 7:18 am

• Hi Stacey,

Great to hear from you. It’s great to make a connection through an image. It was a neat house to photograph. We come to visit Fred Wilkinson in Gull Lake, he’s my wife’s grandfather.

All the best to you,

March 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm

2. Seems to be the trend on these comments – I found your blog on Freshly Pressed.

These photos bring me back to this past summer – I’m an Ontario resident but had the opportunity to live in Val Marie, Saskatchewan for the summer. Needless to say I passed by Gull Lake several times on my journeys across the province.

These are beautiful photos, I look forward to seeing more!

February 10, 2011 at 3:26 pm

3. Pingback: Forgotten Vehicles: photographs from around the farm « Chris Martin Photography

4. Pingback: An Abandoned Farmhouse on the Saskatchewan Prairie (via Chris Martin Photography) | The Calculable

5. kingpui85

Your photos are great. I especially like your People series from Southeast Asia. I found your blog from Freshly Pressed, and coincidentally found we are using a similar blog setup and template!

I’m a fan of boston.com/bigpicture and that’s why i set up my blog the way i did! Hope you come around my blog sometime, I appreciate any critique on my photos-got much to learn from you!

February 9, 2011 at 12:29 am

6. dx

Мне очень нравятся Ваши пейзажи,хорошее качество!

February 8, 2011 at 1:22 pm

• Благодарим Вас за посещение! Есть великий день!

February 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm

7. judyminardi

Chris your work is phenomenal. Unreal. I actually found your blog through WordPress’s freshly pressed, but I live in Calgary – awesome to see some ‘local’ scenery. Just keep on shooting, so awesome.

February 8, 2011 at 9:45 am

8. Thank you for sharing your art.

February 8, 2011 at 4:57 am

9. It is for sure an interesting subject Chris. Wonderful set of pictures!

February 8, 2011 at 4:24 am

10. I loved how in the black and white, the wood’s texture stood out.

February 8, 2011 at 3:41 am

11. stunning photos

February 7, 2011 at 9:30 pm

12. SWK

Beautiful in its ruin and desolation.

February 7, 2011 at 8:45 pm

13. fantastic pictures and what a great place to photograph!

February 7, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )