Full Moon Festival at Shwe Dagon Pagoda in Myanmar

The Shwe Dagon pagoda in Yangon is central to the people of Myanmar and their faith.  It is a major place of worship for Buddhists in Myanmar as it enshrines relics of four Buddhas.  The history of and details about this golden pagoda are incredible and the Wikipedia entry is an interesting read.

My last evening in Myanmar coincided with the full moon of Tabaung Festival.  The festival is celebrated on this full moon in the lunar calendar and it is one of Myanmar’s largest celebrations.  Within the grounds surrounding the pagoda there are Buddhist rituals, family gatherings, water and fire offerings and many other celebrations that I was not able to learn more about.  I walked around from early evening, through sunset and into the night and the crowds continued to grow.  Incredible scenes of chanting, prayer and offering were everywhere all held together with a feeling of a shared experience with city people, monks, nuns, children and others from every stripe of life.

Here then are a few of the images that I made under a full moon in the Far East…

Thank you for taking a quick walk around Shwe Dagon with me.

1. cool

March 4, 2011 at 11:39 am

2. Wow!!! your photographs are stunning! Wonderful journey to Myanmar and wonderful pictures of the people and places in Myanmar. Your shots really inspire me to go to Myanmar (I have wanted to but never really make serious plan to go there).
    Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Bama

February 7, 2011 at 5:28 pm

3. Val Erde

Beautiful.

August 30, 2010 at 5:43 pm

4. Markc

Hi, I am the owner of the blog of photography http://photographymc.blogspot.com/

I have added in the favorite, I would like an exchange links with you.

June 28, 2010 at 2:51 am

• Hi Marco,

Thanks for linking to the blog. I enjoyed reading your articles and commentary on photography – keep up the good work and your original content. I have added you into my favourites as well.

Cheers,

July 14, 2010 at 1:29 pm

5. My favorite is the fourth picture down. There is something about a completely centered image that can be very provocative. And thank you so much for your visit to my own blog and your wonderful comment. The photographic world is so interesting! The comfort, companionship, and camaraderie that can be found within the industry is wonderful. Thank you for helping to lift my spirits. And thank you for helping me realize that I do, and can, have something to offer with my photographs.

June 22, 2010 at 10:31 am

6. Mom & Dad

wWhat a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing it with us all. Love Mom

June 20, 2010 at 1:33 pm

7. Some beautiful photos Chris. Lynn and I crossed over into Myanmar from Thailand on a trip there last year. This whole area is so spectacular and so photographic. Nice use of light by the way!

June 19, 2010 at 10:42 am

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )